The Calibre2opds 3.3 beta program has been going well and is very close to being Feature Complete as far new features intended for the 3.3 release are concerned. There are two remaining items that are nearly finished that are visible in the GUI (but are currently disabled) that will be completed before going into Release Candidate mode:
- The ability to include cover images and thumbnails within the catalog folder. This will make the catalog self-contained and able to be used (except for downloading books) without access to the calibre library folder. This will make it easier to have offline copies of the catalog if so desired.
- the ability to create new catalog sub-sections from custom columns. These will function in a similar way to the current Tags sub-catalog, but based instead on the content of a specified custom column.
One feature we had hoped for that will not make the 3.3 release is the ability to use Custom columns within the Search syntax used by Calibre2opds. This has proved to be technically challenging to implement, but it will be kept on the roadmap as a potential feature for future releases.
The beta program for the calibre2opds 3.3 release is already well underway with a significant number of new features already added (as well as bug fixes against the 3.2 release).
To give an idea of the changes already included the following is a list of the issues describing bugs and/or new features that are already implemented in rev 246 that is available from the Calibre2opds downloads area:
- New: #c2o-155: Allow Calibre Custom Column values to be displayed in Book Details
- New: #c2o-160: Allow Books to be on a different URL to the catalog
- Fix: #c2o-161: The “Language as Tag” value being inverted when saved
- Fix: #c20-163: If you do multiple generation runs without reloading calibre2opds the catalogs are not correctly generated.
- New: #c2o-164: Option to Publish only the generated catalog in Publish mode when Books URL specified
- Fix: #c2o-166: HTML Downloads not generated if OPDS catalog not being generated
- Fix: #c2o-167: Option to Save bandwidth no longer makes sense so removed it
- New: #c2o-168: Omit counts from internal links when Minimize Changed Files selected
- New: #c2o-169: Option to exclude tags from cross-reference links
- New: #c2o-170: Provide direct links from a list of books to the related authors in HTML catalogs
- Fix: #c2o-171: Publication date does not show up in the book details page
- Fix: #c20-172: Dmg Release of Mac OSX broken.
Calibre2opds v3.2 has made it to release status (albeit it took a lot longer than originally anticipated). It is available from the normal Calibre2opds Download site.
There is an extensive list of changes and fixes:
- Change: Documentation moved back to wiki on MobileRead as it is easier to maintain than is the case on WordPress. Using a wiki also allows for users to update it directly which should help with improving the documentation.
- Change: Reworked the way that filenames within the catalog are derived. Should mean that filenames are shorter and less cryptic. However invalidates any cached names from earlier releases.
- Change: Reworked way the ‘encrypt’ files option is handled. When active an ‘encryption string’ is added at the start of folder/file names only – but the remainder of names is same as unencrypted versions.
- Change: Improvements to run.cmd and rungui.cmd for handling 32-bit Java on 64-bit Windows
- Change: Changed the way progress text messages are derived so should be more meaningful.
- New: Added counts to some of the generation progress lines where it made sense (authors, tags, series etic)
- Fix: #c2o-18: Re-organise GUI fields amongst the various tabs
(in particular move Featured Books fields to Custom Catalogs tab)
- Fix: #c2o-85: Sorting in the All Books catalog should ignore case
- Fix: #c2o-91: Setting catalog folder to root (/) is not treated as an error
- New: #c2o-97: Context sensitive help on configuration tabs
- Fix: #c2o-110: Remove the display of the “Stop catalog generation Button” while other dialog displayed on top
- Fix: #c2o-111: The “All Books” section within an author not sorted alphabetically
- New: #c2o-112: Do not delete .htaccess files from generated catalog
- Fix: #c2o-113: Tags have square brackets added in Book Details
- Fix: #c2o-114: Language is ignored when running on command line (cli)
- Fix: #c20-116: Improvements to German localization (thanks to Venia.Legendi)
- New: #c2o-117: Include year in Recent sub-catalog entries
- New: #c2o-120: Remove option to Exit from the confirm dialog displayed after pressing Save
- New: #c20-121: Add links to Localization and customization guides to Help menu
- New: #c2o-122: Allow more control over contents of Book Details pages.
- Fix: #c2o-123: Not handling missing file
- Fix: #c2o-128: Not Reading Ratings
- Fix: #c2o-130: prc format crashed calibre2opds
- Fix: #c2o-133: Add support for Kindle KF8 and AZW3 formats
- Fix: #c2o-134: Wrong sorting of list of authors/title with accent
- Fix: #c20-135: CALIBRE2OPDS_CONFIG Environment variable used incorrectly
- Fix: #c2o-140: Help URL’s do not point to latest documentation
- Fix: #c2o-141: The ‘Open Log File’ option does not work on Windows 8
- New: #c2o-142: Allow the book links to external sites to be localized (implemented for GUI defauls – not yet made book language specific)
- New: #c2o-147: (partial for Language) Option to suppress selected tags in tags sub-catalog
- Fix: #c2o-148: Catalog generation crashes 3.2 RC (r206)
- New: #c2o-149: Added an option to clear encrypted filenames cache to Tools menu
- Fix: #c2o-150: Bug 3.2 rev206M – java.lang.NullPointerException: null
- Fix: #c2o-151: Incorrect index link
- Fix: #c2o-152: Catalog generation causes crash. v. 3.1 rev170M and v3.2 Release Candidate (rev 206)
- Fix: #c2o-153: Crash during Copy if Calibre has altered book author/title during run
- New: #c2o-154: Allow the user to decide if language should be treated like a tag
- Fix: #c2o-159: A value for Maximum Books Summary length of -1 is not being treated correctly
More detail can be found for any of these by going the Calibre2opds issue register at: http://calibre2opds.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issues
It came out of the blue, at least for me… Dropbox just cancelled my account, after sending me a DMCA takedown notice for books I had in my calibre2opds catalog.
The notice actually referenced HTML catalog links, so here is what calibre2opds users should do :
- don’t pirate books; yeah, sure : this also mean, don’t have books that you are legally entitled to have, but are considered pirated copies for some reasons (DRM tempering, self-scan of a paper copy, temporary loan from a friend, etc.)
- obfuscate your calibre2opds catalog filenames (use the ad hoc option in the program) and don’t share your index link.
- stop using Dropbox. There are alternatives, although unfortunately less cool, around (Google Drive, a NAS, publishing to a free web host)
Please, send this warning to your friends: this could save their Dropbox account !
This is a major new release as is reflected by the list of changes shown below :
- New: OPDS 1.1 compatibility
- New: Experimental support for creating and using a search index in HTML catalogs
- New: support for Featured Books sub-catalog
- New: Support for custom catalog sections (based on Calibre searches)
- New: Support for including links to external catalogs
- New: Current profile now displayed on main screen
- New: Support for suppressing the generation of the Recent Books sub-catalog.
- New: Support for suppressing the generation of the Authors sub-catalog.
- New: Support for suppressing the generation of the Series sub-catalog.
- New: Support for suppressing the generation of the Recent Books sub-catalog.
- New: Support for controlling whether Series information shown in Book Details
- New: Support for controlling whether Tag information shown in Book Details
- New: Support for controlling whether Publisher information shown in Book Details
- New: A catalog generation run that has started can be cancelled
- New: Use Calibre style searches in a number of places.
- New: Maximum length of books summary can now be specified
- New: Split by letter now splits to further levels.
- New: Option to Control maximum number of levels for Split By letter
- New: #751211: Allow use of External icons for catalog sections
- New: Reset options added for URL’s used for book external links
- New: #c20-49: Improve navigation consistency in HTML catalogs
- New: German Localization
- New: User supplied Resource files can be used. In particular this will allow for customization of the look-and-feel aspects of the HTML catalogs.
- Change: Internal logging improved. This should help with diagnosing faults
- Change: Series name/number is now at start of Books summary
- Change: Icons used are now higher resolution and this look better on high quality screens
- Change: Special compatibility modes removed. Stanza which was main driver for this feature is now effectively a defunct product (and the 3.2 release works with OPDS comaptibility).
- Change: Replace the settings for the tags to be included with the new Calibre filter feature.
- Change: Improvements to home folder redirection. Detail now logged when used.
- Fix: #806869 Russian text in comments field not displayed correctly
- Fix: #831976 Accented characters not displaying correctly in comments
- Fix: #836797 Null pointer exception trying to run calibre2opds in commandline mode.
- Fix: #840830 Command line not working in Windows
- Fix: #c20-56 Fix handling of multiple authors in OPDS catalogs
- Fix: Missing catalog.xml file in Nook/Trook mode
- Fix: Books summaries were not being displayed in book lists in HTML catalogs
- Fix: Ensure temporary files deleted even if fatal error during generation.
- Fix: Many other small bug fixes. In particular ones that caused fatal errors during generation are now trapped wherever possible and the run allowed to continue after logging details about the issue.
As soon as I’ll find more time, I’ll make a few in-depth articles about these new features !
In the meantime, enjoy this new release. Dave worked hard to make this possible, so please join me in congratuling him !
Farid is working on the full-text search feature which will work on any html5-compliant modern browser… Read more…
Well that was unexpected ! When iOS 5 was released, everyone announced the death of Stanza. But on November 11th, Amazon updated its underdog app to 3.2, with a single reason listed in the release notes : iOS 5 support…
But at the same time, they announced that it would be the last update they’ll ever release to Stanza.
What does it mean ? We decided that calibre2opds 3.0 would drop specific Stanza support, and we stick to our decision. We therefore suggest that Stanza users switch to another app for reading on iOS (there are plenty, Megareader is one I like).
Edit: I tried the new Stanza, and it works with our 3.0 (pre-release) catalogs ! The only thing I tested that didn’t work is the links (in a book page, internal and external links to other catalogs or web pages).
Edit 2: I heard that some people have problems with it and iOS 4 !